Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Goal: One Artwork a Day

I never thought I would start a blog, but here I am. This definitely going to be rough at first, so if there's anyone out there reading this, please bear with me! This was actually my husband's idea, and he may be doing this as well, we'll see... anyway, I suppose I should get to the point of what I want to do here.

The goal of this blog is to force me to create art. To be precise: this blog will document how I will make one piece of art every day this year.

See, I want to be able to call myself an artist. But I find myself feeling unmotivated to actually create anything, and I end up collecting mounds of things I want to someday use but never actually do. Not only do I rarely work up the excitement to even start a project, but when I do, half the time the poor thing gets abandoned part way through and is never finished. I'm hoping that the fact that a blog is such a public medium and the thought that perhaps someone out there actually reads this and cares whether or not I continue will spur me into caring also and not giving up. We'll see if I actually make it the whole year... I really want to do this!

Another purpose for this blog is for me to collect my inspirations. I need to discover my own style and researching artists and then posting about them will hopefully help me do that. I can also develop my voice in my writing so I don't sound so stiff and awkward!

Basically this blog is a mechanism to force me to do things that I want to do but won't because I have very little self discipline.

The plan is that I will post a picture here of what I've made that day and write a little about it, and if it is of sell-able quality (my goal) and not a gift, I will put it up on etsy. Yesterday's was definitely not sell-able, but I'll talk about that in my next post. If a piece takes more than one day to make, I will only post it on the day that I finish it. Those are all the "rules" I can think of at the moment. I may be adding more later.

Let the challenge begin: One piece of art a day throughout 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment