Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day Seventeen (and Sixteen?)

This morning I just about had a heart attack when I realized I didn't do any art yesterday. I spent the first half of yesterday packing for my five days living with my cousins while their parents are out of town, and the last half of yesterday receiving mountains of instructions for keeping them alive. I completely spaced (and had zero time even if I'd remembered) doing something creative. I did however pack a bunch of supplies for art-making while I'm here. It's a TOTAL cop-out, but I'm going to count it. And even if I did fail yesterday, I'm not going to let that stop me from continuing like nothing happened. (If I let myself think I failed even one day, I'm a lot more likely to give up on the whole thing. It's happened to me many times).

Today I started something I'm pretty excited about: a rug! For my dining room/kitchen!
I found this great tutorial for cute little coiled baskets [click here], and just adapted it by never coiling upward to make it into a rug. You could also make hot pad/trivet things with this method.

I gathered all the damaged or never worn clothing I could find in my house and brought it here (my aunt and uncle's house) with me. My aunt has five huge trash bags full of yarn that she gave me permission to use - hooray! As soon as the kids were off to school this morning I got to cutting and coiling and looping yarn.

It's only about a foot in diameter after a looong time working on it today. This is something that will take me awhile. Hopefully I can also get a couple small projects in while I work on this so that you don't have to see a slowly progressing project five+ days in a row like you did with the shoe drawing.

And last but not least, please forgive the horrendous photo. Usually I take my pictures with my husband's iPhone, which is not ideal, but still preferable to this... my computer's webcam. AWFUL! Next time I see the hubs (he may come visit me tomorrow or the day after) I will take a better photo.
EDIT: A much better photo can be seen on Day Eighteen


I tried standing on it to get a glimpse of what it will be like in my house, and I love it! It's surprisingly soft. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment