Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day Twenty Three

Almost finished the painting I started yesterday... I think I might go in with a white or light gray (grey? I've always liked grey better but I think technically it's gray in the US) acrylic paint to add some highlights. On the other hand, if I mess with it any more it may be ruined.  That happens to me way too often.

I'm not entirely pleased with this one. I used india ink, which behaves pretty much like watercolors, and I can never quite master the more watery paints. There is so much less control than with acrylics or oils. The ink/paint is always spreading somewhere you don't want it to go. Ugh. And there are a few places where I misjudged how strong the ink was and made it way too dark, and there's very little to do to fix that. It was quite frustrating!

On the plus side, I managed to make the shadows on the lower half of her face not look like a beard, which it did when I started.

I haven't worked on the rug today. I really should probably go do that, because if I skip a day I may never touch the thing again.


No comments:

Post a Comment