Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day Eight

I finally finished the project I started on day four! (I showed you my mess from this project, but it hadn't dried yet so I made a melodramatic drawing instead).

I can never decide if stuff like this can really be called art, or if it's more just crafts... personally I want to call it crafts. On a larger, more sculptural scale I would call it art. This is could turn into a huge debate centered on the definition of the word "art," but for now I'm just going to say that it's a craft but it's still creative, so I will include things like this in my art a day quest.

My other problem with this project is that it's unoriginal - I saw it on pinterest. Really, very few of the artsy things I do are original at this point. I found a video that taught me how to make the plastic fabric stuff, I saw poetry done on book pages on deviantart a long time ago, and I drew a picture straight from a TV show. I don't know, I'm just having real issues coming up with any ideas of my own. I'm hoping that this blog will help me to be more original along the way, and that researcing other artists will help me to see what I like, and turn that into my own style. I'm reading this great book called How to Steal Like an Artist, by Austin Kleon, that gives great advice on finding inspiration and gradually building your voice as an artist. I'll write a blog post about the book one of these days. I really recommend it.

ANYWAY. My lovely, unoriginal craft for today:


These bowls are made from paper mache using both magazine and dictionary pages, one kind on each side of each of the bowls to create contrast. I put plastic wrap inside bowls I already had and used them as molds for the paper mache. The bowls were completely dry today and I just finished them by cleaning them up a little then applying a coat of mod podge to give them shine!


3 comments:

  1. Those are cool and it doesn't matter if the idea isn't original it's still an original by you!! :) I don't know if you know but my degree is a BA in Interior Design and I was taught a pretty cool way to come up with original designs, if you ever have time I can teach you what I know and see if it helps you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome Tricia! For awhile I reeeaally wanted to go into interior design, but it turned out we'd have to move because there are apparently no schools here (that I could find at least) that have interior design programs. So sad!

      Delete
    2. Let's chat more soon and we will figure out a time, after I think back to those college years a little bit!! :)

      Delete