Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day Twenty Two

I worked a little bit on the rug today, but then was so bored with it I started a painting instead. That's not finished yet either, but it was refreshing to take a break for painting/drawing.

I did a wash of ink and then added in some dark areas. I plan on adding detail to the hair by creating highlights with white acrylic paint.

The face is all done with a watercolor pencil at this point. I wanted to draw it first with something I could erase before diving in with the ink. I always regret it when I do that.

This painting is something of a step for be for a couple reasons: I almost always draw straight from a photo, or at least looking at something in real life in front of me, but this time I just drew from my mind using the rules of drawing faces and proportions that I learned in school. I did have to google faces to see how to get the shading right though. Another step for me: I don't think I've ever drawn anyone who wasn't white! Or at least not that I can remember. I'm enjoying it.

Another terrible photo.... by the time hubby's home it should be finished, and I can post a better photo then. I hate that I spent the most time putting in the shading and that part practically disappeared with the webcam picture. Grrr. 



No comments:

Post a Comment